JotCache is advanced solution for page caching in Joomla 1.5, 2.5 and 3.0 framework. JotCache consists from JotCache Plugin and JotCache Component.
New combination of system plugin and management component covers tailored processing in JotCache for all types of extensions : static nad dynamic modules as well as components with static content and dynamic forms. Extended marking of cached content allows fast checking of cache operation in frontend and backend (feature for easy selecting of cached pages which needs cache reset).
JotCache Plugin is extended replacement of standart System-Cache plugin with following enhancements :
- Cache management with very fast opening on larger web sites – the cached files are presented with cached page titles and links, added more informations about cached page (browser type, language, non-routed query string), implemented items ordering, changed information about date/time of caching (incl. indication of expired or no more existing cache files)
- Exclusion of selected pages from page caching based on component, view and page URI
- Plugin functions for powerfull autoclean (garbage collection) activity and browser caching.
- Common installer for one-step installation of JotCache component and plugin in upgrade mode
- Possibility to set different page caches based on user browser type amd/or type of mobile devices (tablet, phone).
- Fast-changing dynamic modules on the web page can be refreshed with actual content during each user access. You can mark the module positions with fast changeable content in site template and these position will be refreshed during each user access to related web page. The rest of page will be taken from cached content as usual by standart plugin System - Cache.
- Cached page content can be compressed before saving into the cache. JotCache plugin has option to compress (gzlib) cached pages before storing to the cache, therefore the web access to cached content is accelerated. Compressing function covers static (page) as well as dynamic module content.
- Possibility to clear the cache only for selected pages. With accompanied JotCache Component here it is possible to see the actual cached pages linked to used component and view. You can delete the selected cached pages (marked in component list view) leaving the rest of cached pages intact.
5.1.2 New features
- possibility to set extra expiration times for selected pages additionally to main expiration time used for all other pages
- cache split based on selected session variables (e.g. needed for Virtuemart multiple currencies correct operation)
- page cache clean during POST request (necessary for maintaining of css/js files combination in JCH Optimize extension)
- module exclusion from caching - jot tags adjustment in case when no template position attributes are specified
- install procedure changed (upgrade part) with JotCache plugin parameters saving into database during install run
- changed method of tags insertion (K2 modules were not correct recognized) and recognition (e.g. for enabled JCH Optimize MinifyHtml feature)
- output of Last-Modified header part for cached pages
- RSS XML recognition for cached pages (change in JC plugin)
- Release notes
New features in ver.5.1
Edit Page Invalidate
With plugin parameter 'Edit Page Invalidate' set to 'Yes' is active automatic deletion of page (edited in frontend) from the cache. User performing frontend page edit must have at least CREATE user permission (in standard Joomla permission assignment Author group and above).
With domain filter is posible to narrow scope of cached pages only to pages invoked from declared site.
Popup window with page internal URL
For exclusion of pages from page caching is necessary to set URL exclusion definition on exclusion form.
For fast retrieving of internal URL is available 'eye' icon left to page title/URI. Clicking on this icon is opened small popup window with internal URL string.
- Release notes
5.1.0 Major release for use with Joomla 3.4
New features :
- automatic delete of page edited in frontend from cache. User performing frontend page edit must have at least CREATE user permission (in standard Joomla permission assignment Author group and above)
- possibility to cache only pages invoked from own site
- on component Management View is included popup window showing Joomla internal URL string for given page (parts of internal URI can be used for URL Exclusion)
- jotcache.js used on JotCache component pages is complete rewritten to jQuery
- memcache cache storage is adjusted to latest PHP Memcache functionality
- URL exclusion also valid for key/value pair containing %xx (URL coded characters)
New features in JotCache 4.2 :
Extended Cache split (separate cache storages) :
- Multisite operation (distinguished protocol/domain, in database is stored absolute URL)
- Recognition of different page content based on values of session variables
- Release notes
4.2.4 - check/set of cache file directory permissions during installation
4.2.3 - changed assignment of cache file directory permissions
4.2.2 - included multisite feature and possibility to run customized cached pages
4.2.1 - introduced cache exclusion based on selected session variables (e.g. needed for Virtuemart multiple currencies correct operation)
For Joomla 3.0 - 3.1 use JotCache ver.3.1.9.
Only for Joomla 3.2 and Joomla 2.5 use new JotCache ver.4.1.x
New features of ver.4.1
Exclusion from caching
Fast-changing dynamic modules on the cached web page can be refreshed with actual content during each visitor access. This feature of JotCache was completely redesigned for ver.4.1+. With this JotCache version for template position exclusion is enough only to select template positions from the list of enabled template positions on the site. All assigned template positions will be refreshed during each user access to cached web page.
- Release notes
- major refactoring of existing features and adding new possibilities for caching/recaching of the site content
- added and full rewritten JotMarker plugin (compared to ver.4.0.5 / J2.5) for safe module (template position) exclusion
- manual recache of marked files for users with JotCache recache rights (permission setting necessary). In this working mode authorized user can start on frontend pages the recache of viewed page and see immediatelly the results.
- batch recache of all or selected pages from Joomla backend with two basic modii :
- recaching of existent (already) cached pages (can be processed also oldier expired pages)
- web crawling on the site with given depth of levels under site root
- all recache operations are performed without disturbing of active users on the site. Long batch operations give indication about number of processed pages and it is also possible to stop recaching in any time after the start.
- batch recache can be also processed as cron job with different setting possibilities
- strengthened security during cache activities
- implemented loading of active template language files in plugin (necessary when some modules relies on template language keys)
- removed feature - compress cached content because of not reliable compression on complex web pages
- template module positions needed for 'Position Exclude' management form are no more taken from templateDetails.xml but from frontend module positions which are assigned and enabled in Module Manager
- cookies split is allowing separate cache storage based on cookie name/value (and related module exclusion)
- possibility to exclude bots (crawlers) requests from caching (can be also helpfull when on site are different frontend presentations for users and bots)
- method 'remove expired items' is moved from management view opening to view Refresh (necessary for large sites to start work immediatelly with management functions)
- possibility to present HTML content of each cached page for JotCache adjustment purposes (debug) with configuration parameter 'Show file hash' enabled
- implemented loading of lib_joomla language files in plugin
- possibility of fast delete of selected cached pages without any further confirmation
This JotCache version has extended feature Browser Split with new selections for mobile device user access. For each group of mobile devices (phone, tablet) is created own cache space and cached pages are not intermixed with desktop layout pages or other presentations depending on browser type.
Additional informations you can find in Mobile devices recognition in JotCache 3.1.
- Release notes
- enhanced template position exclusions
- solved problem with error in Joomla 3.2 'Call to a member function getTag() on a non-object'
- adjustment of coding for Joomla 3.2
- maintenance version with strengthened security during cache activities
- added recognition of mobile devices for browser split function (each browser group can have own cached pages based on plugin setting)
- corrected page caching in case when page title contains special characters (as ' etc.)
- adjusted layout of component administrator pages to Joomla 3.0 Bootstrap
- first Joomla 3.0 JotCache extension with new features (against versions 2.x) included :
- template positions exclusion from caching processing with dedicated form in JotCache component management
- possibility to select site URL requests which will force browser caching (locally on user side)
- rewritten database access for using different database systems
- added listing and filtering of cached pages based on page URI
- removing jot tags markers from server response
JotCache related links
(Article in russian language - "VirtueMart 2 speed-up due to flexible caching with JotCache plugin")
(Article in german language - translation to english performed with author permission is published here in blog)