TOPIC: How to be sure JotCache can work with Memcached ?

How to be sure JotCache can work with Memcached ? 26 Dec 2015 03:11 #1564

My server is a VPS, I installed VestaCP as my web panel. Since I am a newbie of server management, I am not sure if Memcached was installed and enabled on my server. I am not sure about if my Memcached is running properly.

So, when I using JotCache on my Joomla 3.4 website, how can I be sure JotCache will work well with Memcached (if it exists) on my server?

I think you can add a new feature to validate this, for example, a button named "check Memcached on this server", if the result is Green OK, I can choose "Memcache" as the Cache Storage.

Thank you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to be sure JotCache can work with Memcached ? 26 Dec 2015 10:20 #1566

Check on presence of memcached php module is tested automatically in JotCache plugin - look on 'Cache Storage' tab. Only available storages are present. To check memcached server on VPS you can use phpMemcachedAdmin application which is available as free open source.

How to be sure JotCache can work with Memcached ? 26 Dec 2015 10:30 #1567

Great! I saw there is two options in the Cache Storage dropdown list:

files
Memcache

Does this means I can select Memcache to get a boost on Caching?

Thank you.

How to be sure JotCache can work with Memcached ? 26 Dec 2015 10:35 #1569

Yes you can. You must know on which host and port is connection with memcache server possible.

How to be sure JotCache can work with Memcached ? 26 Dec 2015 17:36 #1570

Well, if I choose "Memcache" on the plugin settings, my website frontend page will be in a mess, and showing following error message:
{var w=jQuery(window);var m=jQuery('#wli-messages');var o=jQuery('#wli-overlay');var b=jQuery('#wli-close-button');m.css('display','none');m.css('top',Math.max(0,((w.height()-m.outerHeight())/2)+w.scrollTop())+'px');m.css('left',Math.max(0,((w.width()-m.outerWidth())/2)+w.scrollLeft())+'px');m.fadeIn('slow');o.fadeIn('slow');b.click(function(){o.fadeOut('slow');m.fadeOut('slow');});o.click(function(){o.fadeOut('slow');m.fadeOut('slow');});});setTimeout(function(){var m=jQuery('#wli-messages');var o=jQuery('#wli-overlay');o.fadeOut('slow');m.fadeOut('slow');},15000);var kunena_toggler_close="折叠";var kunena_toggler_open="展开";jQuery(document).ready(function(){jQuery('select').chosen({"disable_search_threshold":10,"allow_single_deselect":true,"placeholder_text_multiple":"\u9009\u62e9\u4e00\u4e9b\u9009\u9879","placeholder_text_single":"\u9009\u62e9\u4e00\u4e2a\u9009\u9879","no_results_text":"\u6ca1\u6709\u5339\u914d\u7684\u7ed3\u679c"});});jQuery(document).ready(function(){jQuery('.hasTooltip').tooltip({"html":true,"container":"body"});});window.setInterval(function(){var r;try{r=window.XMLHttpRequest?new XMLHttpRequest():new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(e){}if(r){r.open("GET","/index.php?option=com_ajax&format=json",true);r.send(null)}},300000);

If I switch that Cache Storage to "file", the frontend page will behave properly.

I think, maybe the Memcached is not properly configured on my server, since this is a VPS istalled and configured by me myself. And I am very newbie of server management.

How can I troubleshoot this? Is there any tool or trick to help me find out if Memcached is properly installed and set up to work with Joomla?

Thank you.

How to be sure JotCache can work with Memcached ? 08 Sep 2016 16:09 #1795

Well, in order to use "memcache" as the cache storage, today I upgraded my JotCache to 6.0b2 .

As you said, JotCache 6.0b2 removed the "cache storage" option, it just use the one in "Global Configuration". So I went to Joomla Global Configuration and set "Cache Handler" to "Memcache".

Then I refreshed my fontend webpage, this time there is no JS codes showing up. But a warning message shown:
Error loading component: com_users, Could not connect to memcache server

But the webpage looks fine, except Joomla shows this warning message.

I think I have set correct settings for Memcache. See my settings in Global Configuration:

And following is the Memcache section in my PHP Information of the "System Info" at Joomla backend:

Could you please tell me why there is such a warning message saying that "could not connect to memcache server"?

When I checking on SSH terminal of my server, I got following results:
[root ~]# systemctl status memcache
● memcache.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)
[root ~]# systemctl status memcached
● memcached.service - Memcached
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/memcached.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2016-09-08 21:53:50 CST; 12min ago
 Main PID: 833 (memcached)
   CGroup: /system.slice/memcached.service
           └─833 /usr/bin/memcached -u memcached -p 11211 -m 1GB -c 1024 localhost

Sep 08 21:53:50 iZ239i3uk4bZ systemd[1]: Started Memcached.
Sep 08 21:53:50 iZ239i3uk4bZ systemd[1]: Starting Memcached...
[root ~]# 

This is really confusing. "memcache" is not found, but "memcached" is running. I really don't know how to solve this.

Hope someone here will help me to fix it.

Thank you.

How to be sure JotCache can work with Memcached ? 09 Sep 2016 01:36 #1796

Well, it seems that I did not install the PHP Memcached Extension successfully.

Then I run this command on CentOS server:
# yum -y  install php-pecl-memcached

Then I reboot the server. Now I can see a new section titled "memcached" (before this operation there is only "memcache" section) in PHP Information of Joomla system info.

Next, I went to Joomla Global Configuration, there is a new option named "Memcached (experimental)" for the "Cache Handler" setting. I choose it and save. Now Joomla does not report any error when open pages at frontend.

This indicates that finally I make JotCache work with Memcached on my server.

However, after running for almost 12 hours, I noticed that my Joomla is not as fast as expected.

Maybe I did not configure them properly?

Hope you write some documentation on how to got the best speed improvements with JotCache and Memcached.

Thank you.

How to be sure JotCache can work with Memcached ? 09 Sep 2016 07:47 #1797

Installation and using Memcached with JotCache is task for experienced administrators. Our congratulation to your achieved results.

It exists one server memcached but two different PHP extensions Memcached and Memcache. The Memcache extension is pretty old and it is not recommended to use it on new sites. Memcached is much better but be carefully when using PHP 7 because earlier in PHP 7 versions up to 7.0.5 were Memcached not working.

Due to very specific install and setup procedures on different OS and PHP versions we are not planning to publish more about these cache storages but please follow dedicated articles to this topic on original web sites.

How to be sure JotCache can work with Memcached ? 09 Sep 2016 09:28 #1798

Thank you. Finally I figured it out. It seems that the old memcache just can not work. So we can only choose "memcached".

My environment info:

PHP version: 5.6.26 (with Zend Opcache installed, and Xcache installed)
Joomla version: 3.6.2
MySQL version: 5.5.50
Jotcache version: 6.0b2

If you have any tips on how to optimize such a combination, especially on how to configure memcached related settings. please teach me.

Thank you.
Time to create page: 0.601 seconds
We have 33 guests and no members online
Copyright © 2015 JotComponents
We have 33 guests and no members online
Copyright © 2017 JotComponents