TOPIC: Joomla cache on or off? Having issues

Joomla cache on or off? Having issues 01 Jun 2016 20:52 #1757

I am running Joomla 3.5.1 on PHP 7 and have a server which supports memcached .

I am confused as to what are supposed to be the settings for the cache.

System cache plugin has been disabled and jotCache has been properly configured to use memcached and enabled.

Now, Joomla Global configuration - Cache settings

OFF - I get server response time of 0.4 seconds
ON - Conservative caching, memcached - I get server response time of +1.2 seconds

So, if I have Joomla cache on it provides better results. Is in this situation the jotcache component / plugin working at all? If it is off, how comes that its slower than noncached content?
Or is the Joomla global setting conflicting with jotcache settings?

Joomla version : 3.4
JotCache version : 5.3
site template: itl_riana
system plugins :
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla cache on or off? Having issues 02 Jun 2016 07:33 #1758

Here is generally not so much of knowledge how Joomla, Joomla extensions and JotCache runs under PHP7. On oldier versions of PHP / Joomla was usually JotCache used with Global Cache set to ON (conservative) to gain best response results.
In your case can be bottleneck also the memcached server if it is overloaded with another service users. Our tests shows that memcached PHP extension needs at least PHP 7.0.5. for good operation.

Joomla cache on or off? Having issues 02 Jun 2016 23:31 #1761

Ok, so here is the status - keeping Joomla setting for Cache on OFF does not disable Jotcache caching. Actually - it seems to even perform much better - almost - as if the Joomla Global Setting would be conflicting in terms of memcached cache operation with Jotcache.

Joomla cache on or off? Having issues 17 Jun 2016 20:07 #1769

I had Joomla, Scriptmerge and Jotcache active in a Joomla PHP7 configuration and that worked fine. There was one issue however, every once in a while there was a server error (couldn't resolve host) on page loading. I didnd't pay attention to that since it didn't happen often and once there it solved itself.

After upgrading to Joomla 3.5.1 this became a serious problem, finally causing the same error over and over agin. From what I learned there seems to be a problem in Joomla (it was already there and became worse with Joomla's 3.5.1 update) causing high processor loads that will finally result in a server error "Couldn't resolve host". In other words, the server is so busy that it doesn't manage to render the page in time.

See also: github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues/9898

Meanwhile I've replaced Memcached with Filecache and everything is functioning really well in combination with PHP7.

Joomla cache on or off? Having issues 13 Oct 2017 09:40 #2037

What config should be on joomla 3.8.1 and PHP 5.3.6? (filecache)
Now I have:
Global cache = ON (conservative)
Joomla cache plugin = OFF
Icons in Jotcache component: Green Yellow Green

If I turn on Joomla cache plugin - icons stay Green Green Green, BUT: [RENEW] prefix saves for all users, if I visit page as admin with update setting.

Joomla version : 3.8
JotCache version : 6.1
site template: Custom
system plugins :

Joomla cache on or off? Having issues 13 Oct 2017 14:10 #2045

Your setup:
Global cache = ON (conservative)
Joomla cache plugin = OFF
JotCache system plugin = ON

is OK.

JotCache cannot work when Joomla cache plugin is ON.
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds
We have 83 guests and no members online
Copyright © 2015 JotComponents
We have 83 guests and no members online
Copyright © 2017 JotComponents