TOPIC: New pages not re-caching

New pages not re-caching 11 Dec 2015 13:07 #1541

I have been running Jotcache and the cron based recache - every 3 minutes - very effectively for over a year.

However recently when I add new pages any new content I add to the page will not appear unless I first manually delete the page out of JotCache and refresh the page. This has happened with the last few pages although as far as I can tell existing pages are recaching just fine.

This is obviously making creating new pages very time consuming as I am having to continually delete the cached page from JotCache to check it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Joomla version : 3.4
JotCache version : 5.2
site template:
system plugins :
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New pages not re-caching 12 Dec 2015 09:22 #1542

Update: The pages in question eventually did update 24 hours later.

The question is therefore - why are these pages taking 24 hours to update when the JotCache recache is running every 3 minutes - as confirmed by the JotCache log?

I have cleared my browser cache so that is not an issue.

New pages not re-caching 12 Dec 2015 10:03 #1543

Further issues:

I selected the page and then clicked "recache" which took me to the recache page, but after I clicked "start" I got the error messages that "the log file could not be opened" and "Recache run stopped due to unsufficient value of Recache Run Timeout (JotCache component parameter set in Options)."

I set the timeout to 10000 which is more than enough, but still the same issue.

Also when I click "return to control panel" Jotcache is loading another instance of the Joomla admin page so I am ending up with several Joomla admin pages loaded instead of being just taken back to the main page.

New pages not re-caching 12 Dec 2015 11:40 #1544

No of mentioned behaviors can be classified as 'issues'. At first it is necessary to explain how recaching is working in JotCache :

1. The recache is possible to start from browser (JotCache Management View -> Recache button -> Recache Control -> Start). This process runs on the web server in many cases under CGI/FastCGI PHP.

2. The recache is also possible to start with (Linux) server cron job. This process runs on the web server in many cases under PHP-CLI.

Both run modes CGI/FastCGI and PHP-CLI have its own PHP settings and limitations (for CGI/FastCGI strong implied also from web server settings).

3. Just on beginning of actual recache run the pages which shall be recached are marked in database table #_jotcache column 'recache' with value '1' and new assignment of such pages is not further possible until given recache run is finished.

That means any repeating request to start recache process during running actual one is REFUSED.

Behavior as described :
the cron based recache - every 3 minutes - very effectively for over a year.
Here is doubt that your site can be full recached during 3 min. because on many web sites are usually recached lower as 10 pages per min. You can follow progress of recaching on JotCache Management View Page in real time when you click on column title 'Created' for ordering the cached pages in the time sequence. If the cron job is started each 3 minutes then most cron jobs ends immediatelly because of running (oldier) recache run.
The pages in question eventually did update 24 hours later.
The new updated content is successfull recached during last recache run which took maybe several hours but not 24 hours. See explaination above.
"Recache run stopped due to unsufficient value of Recache Run Timeout (JotCache component parameter set in Options)."
You started recache from the browser and web server settings prevents to run long web request. Many web servers are set to limit each web request longer as 30 or 60 sec. Because it is limitation of web server you cannot remove this limitation by setting in php.ini or from JotCache options. Ask your host company for explanation/ new settings. But take into account that Recache from browser is suitable only for small limited number of pages see Recache in JotCache Help 5.x.

New pages not re-caching 12 Dec 2015 12:17 #1545

Thanks for your reply.

On the recache I am using the cron based PHP-CLI because if I run it at longer intervals JotCache is breaking my pages, missing menus, modules etc. I started out with longer recache intervals but 3 minutes proved to be optimum and fixed the issues and the pages load very quickly.

The recache process does in fact appear to be completing. I have 544 long pages on this website and according to the log output they are all being cached:

#Fields: date time message
2015-12-11 13:06:01 Starting recache run
2015-12-11 13:06:01 .loaded 3 jotcache plugin(s)
2015-12-11 13:06:01 ..registering `crawler` plugin
2015-12-11 13:06:01 ..registering `crawlerext` plugin
2015-12-11 13:06:01 ..registering `recache` plugin
2015-12-11 13:06:01 ...triggering `onJotcacheRecache` event
2015-12-11 13:06:01 ....running in plugin crawler
2015-12-11 13:06:02 ....inside crawler plugin - starting page URL.........
2015-12-11 13:06:09 ....during recache with browser:chrome returned 544 hits
2015-12-11 13:06:09 ...crawler plugin returned `DONE`
2015-12-11 13:06:09 Finished recache run

So this still does not explain why recaching is taking so many hours.
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds
We have 106 guests and no members online
Copyright © 2015 JotComponents
We have 106 guests and no members online
Copyright © 2017 JotComponents