- (29.09.2015) New presentation of JotComponents site
- (03.03.2015) JotCache 5.1 for Joomla 3.3/3.4
- (27.07.2014) JotEasyCron - cache (health) care in limited environment
- (25.07.2014) JotEasyCron plugin - external cron with EasyCron service
- (23.06.2014) JotCache ver.4.2.2 used with Virtuemart 2 currency selection
Web programming and optimization of Joomla sites
Published: 29 September 2015
After the years of using Joomla 2.5 based site you can recognize here new layout and functionality. Major targets for upgrade were mobile friendly presentation and of course new security functions available in Joomla 3.4.
For more flexible exchange of ideas between users of JotCache extension here were added to already proved Kunena based forum also two new possibilities - commenting system JComments and user help & guidance solution Freestyle FAQs. JComments was selected from more possible extensions because of wide range of functionality and local usage on the server without any external (cloud) parts. Using Freestyle FAQs is more less rehearsal for evaluation if such user guidance is welcome along with JotCache Help presentented on JotComponents Knowledge Base. JotCache FAQ and How To items are available only for users registered on JotComponents site.
JotCache extension is not simple install & use solution but more set of administrator tools for speed-up and optimization of Joomla sites. How to use these tools and how to solve the obstacles needs to collect experiencies from live site operation. Therefore use not only JotComponents forum but also new commenting system for this purpose.
Here is also intention to provide more languages for JotCache extension especial for languages of users/visitors :
as taken from long term evaluation in Google Analytics.
If you have translation of language strings for any of above shown languages please provide language files to JotComponents for the public access.
Published: 03 March 2015
New features in ver.5.1
Edit Page Invalidate
In previous versions of JotCache (ver.5.0 and before) when registered user with permission to create/edit frontend page was logged-in he could change content without any limitation but after his logout the page old content was shown until expiration or invalidation of the cached page. Such approach has its advantage (only final/reviewed content is shown to public) but in some cases is requested to immediately show new content to the public directly from cache. Here is possible in JotCache ver.5.1 to enable plugin parameter 'Edit Page Invalidate'.
Published: 23 June 2014
JotCache is often used on Virtuemart shopping sites with good results for much faster page responses. But in cases when shop was configured to run with different currencies until present time was not possible to use any page caching.
Published: 27 July 2014
Content caching is used in many parts of Joomla CMS for speed-up of several tasks. For long-term good operation of page cache is necessary to take care at least for two processes :
- cache cleaning
- content recaching
Page cache cleaning
Cached items have expiration time. After this time the item is no more valid but usually remains in storage. For file cache is important to perform regulary cleaninig (garbage collection) to prevent storage overflow. In JotCache are available two different techniques for cache cleaning :
- autoclean - set as parameters in JotCache plugin which performs cleaning inside some visitor requests (it takes time max. 500 msec. in one request). Such method can be acceptable on sites with low request rate.
- clean cron job - using special PHP script started from web server cron with PHP CLI (Command Line Interface). Cron initiated cleaning is suitable for medium and large (heavy loaded) web sites. Problem can occur when PHP CLI is not installed on server of hosting company.